Twickenham Fine Ales was the first brewery in Twickenham since Cole’s Brewery closed in 1906.
In the beginning there was a 10 barrel plant which was installed in a small unit opposite a Greggs Bakery factory – pint and a pasty seeming natural bedfellows.
The early days of experimentation and trial settled down with the arrival of Tom Madeiros, as Brewer, in 2005. Being American the use of American hops seemed a natural path and Twickenham became an early adopter of the now popular and more common place hops used in many beers today.
The variety of hops grew and Twickenham now uses hops from countries including: England, Germany, Slovenia, USA, Australia and New Zealand.
The quality of Twickenham’s beers was recognised on a national level in 2007 when Sundancer won silver in the national Champion Beer of Britain at the GBBF. Unusual then for having such citrusy hops, especially in a lower strength beer (3.7%ABV), it is a wonderful pint giving as much satisfaction to drinkers today as at any time.
THE NAKED LADIES
The Naked Ladies are a set of elegant statues in the gardens of York House, Twickenham, on the side of the River Thames.
Carved from white Italian Carrara marble during the late nineteenth, they depict eight sea nymphs.
Commissioned by infamous fraudster Whitaker Wright, they spent several years as the glorious backdrop for some of London’s grandest garden parties and came into the possession of Twickenham Council in 1924, when York House became the new town hall.
During the blitz of the Second World War, there was concern that moonlight reflecting on them would give a navigation mark to the Luftwaffe. So, as part of London’s Blackout measures, the statues were covered with a grey sludge – they have since been cleaned!
York House and the gardens are open to the public and, in 1983, the statues were protected with a Grade II listing by English Heritage.
London’s oldest microbrewery, Twickenham Fine Ales, are proud to promote our local history on the pump clip of our bestselling beer NAKED LADIES.